ROCKINGHAM — Four suspects have been charged in the burglary of a local gun store earlier this month.
Late last week, the Rockingham Police Department charged 28-year-old Marquis Jaquan Shortt in connection to the theft of multiple firearms from the Ammo Shack.
The business was reportedly broken into in the early morning hours of May 4.
Short is charged with 13 counts each of larceny of a firearm and possession of a stolen firearm. He is also charged with two counts of breaking and entering, and one count each of possession of burglary tools and felony conspiracy.
Short was booked into the Richmond County Jail around 2:45 p.m. Friday, May 13. He is being held on a $500,000 secured bond and is scheduled to appear in court May 19.
(Note: The RO was unaware of Shortt’s arrest until early Wednesday morning.)
Short was the third suspect charged in the case.
The first two, 18-year-old Kwalei Harley and 20-year-old James Paul Fairley, were arrested and charged on May 7. Police charged 20-year-old Jasean Montrell Wright on Tuesday, May 17.
Online records show Shortt has no other pending charges or previous criminal convictions in North Carolina.
All defendants facing criminal charges are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
On May 11, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives announced a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.
The ATF and the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office are assisting the Rockingham Police Department in the case.
Gillenwater told the RO Tuesday that the investigation is still ongoing.
Anyone with information about the crime is encouraged to contact the agency by calling 1-800-ATF-TIPS (800-283-8477) or by emailing ATFTips@atf.gov. Tipsters can also use the Reportit app or the P3Tips app, recently employed by the RPD and other local law enforcement agencies.
The ATF says all calls and tips will remain confidential.