Home Crime Man charged with assault with a deadly weapon, kidnapping in East Rockingham...

Man charged with assault with a deadly weapon, kidnapping in East Rockingham shooting

ROCKINGHAM — A man is facing charges after allegedly shooting a woman during an early morning argument in East Rockingham over the weekend.

A deputy was flagged down just before 5:30 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 15 and told that a woman had been shot, according to a press release issued by the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office on Tuesday.

Deputies responded to the scene and reportedly found a woman with a gunshot wound to the leg. She was taken to a local hospital by FirstHealth EMS and later flown to a trauma center, the release states.

Investigators spoke to a witness, who was reportedly in the home at the time of the shooting, who said that the unnamed victim had been arguing with 40-year-old Rashad Andrews Guallett around 4 a.m.

Guallett allegedly became irate and shot the victim, and refused to let her or the victim leave or call 911.

The defendant later allegedly left, taking the witnesses’ car. That was when the witness went out to flag down the deputy, according to the sheriff’s office.

Deputies later found Guallett and arrested him, the release states.

Guallett is charged with two counts of second-degree kidnapping and one count each of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury, assault by pointing a gun and possession of a firearm by a felon.

He is being held in the Richmond County Jail on a combined $70,000 secured bond and is scheduled to appear in court Aug. 25.

Advertisements

Records with the N.C. Department of Public Safety show Guallett has previous convictions in three counties dating back two decades.

He was first convicted in 2002 of possession of a Schedule II controlled substance in Mecklenburg County.

In 2007, Gaullett was convicted of driving while impaired and carrying a concealed weapon in Scotland County.

Gaullett was convicted again in Mecklenburg County on two counts of misdemeanor larceny in 2012. He was initially given probation, which was revoked later that year, resulting in a three-month sentence.

Records show Gaullett was convicted in late 2016 on three counts of common law robbery and two counts of assault on a female in Mecklenburg. Combined with a post-release revocation, he served a total of 10 months behind bars.

His most recent conviction was in 2020 for common law robbery in Cleveland County, for which he served just over three months. Gaullett’s parole ended May 5, 2021.

All defendants facing criminal charges are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Previous articleState agencies team up for Labor Day Weekend safety campaign
Next articleJackson appointed to RichmondCC’s Board of Trustees