ROCKINGHAM — Police have charged a fifth suspect in the burglary of the Ammo Shack earlier this month.
Chief George Gillenwater confirmed Friday afternoon that 34-year-old Ricky John McLaughlin Jr. is accused of being part of a group alleged to have broken into the gun store during the early morning hours of May 4.
McLaughlin was arrested Thursday and charged with: 14 felony counts each of larceny of a firearm and possession of a stolen firearm; two felony counts of breaking and entering; one felony count each of possession of a firearm by a felon, possession of burglary tools and conspiracy; and one misdemeanor count of injury to real property.
McLaughlin is being held in the Richmond County Jail under a $500,000 secured bond.
Online jail records show McLaughlin is also charged with four counts of failure to appear on a misdemeanor and has an additional combined $5857.35 cash bond. He is scheduled to appear in court June 16.
Four other suspects have been charged in the case.
The first two, 18-year-old Kwalei Harley and 20-year-old James Paul Fairley, were arrested and charged on May 7. Police subsequently charged 28-year-old Marquis Jaquan Shortt on May 13 and 20-year-old Jasean Montrell Wright on May 17.
All defendants facing criminal charges are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
On May 11, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives announced a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.
The ATF and the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office are assisting the Rockingham Police Department in the case.
Gillenwater told the RO Friday that the investigation is still ongoing.
Anyone with information about the crime is encouraged to contact the agency by calling 1-800-ATF-TIPS (800-283-8477) or by emailing ATFTips@atf.gov. Tipsters can also use the Reportit app or the P3Tips app, recently employed by the RPD and other local law enforcement agencies.
The ATF says all calls and tips will remain confidential.
Records with the N.C. Department of Public Safety show McLaughlin was first convicted in 2005 on a misdemeanor count of unauthorized use of motor conveyance. His probation was revoked in 2008 and records show a conviction of a second count of the same crime. McLaughlin served three months on consecutive sentences.
McLaughlin served another 13 months behind bars following a 2008 conviction on two counts of common law robbery.
In 2013, McLaughlin was convicted on two counts of driving while impaired and the following year was convicted of driving with a revoked license. His probation on the DWIs was revoked in 2015, resulting in a three-month incarceration.
His most recent conviction was in 2016 for assault on a female in Montgomery County.