Since relocating to Richmond County to become the executive director of Richmond County Partnership for Children in March 2019, Dr. Katrina Chance has not missed an opportunity to be involved and support the community in a variety of ways.
Truly passionate about education, Chance accredits the start of her educational journey in rural West Texas at a Head Start for inspiring her to ensure others had the same impactful initiation to learning.
Dr. Chance holds a Doctorate of Business Administration from Walden University, Master’s Degree in Organizational Management with a specialization in Leadership from Ashford University, a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences with a focus in Human Development from Washington State University, an Associate of General Studies from Central Texas College at Fort Stewart, and also a Family Service credential.
Prior to becoming the multifaceted leader she is today, Chance began her professional career in the United States Army in 1990. During her service, she was stationed in Texas, Alaska and Georgia. She continued to sharpen her leadership skills and establish herself as a well-respected childcare and education professional as the owner of a family child care business, in teaching pre-kindergarten in Georgia, serving as a deputy director for Head Start, and an assistant director for a child care resource and referral agency at Savannah Technical College.
Like mother, like daughter, Chance is the proud mother of an active-duty daughter, who is currently serving our country in the United States Army.
Chance is recognized for her ability to build effective teams, coordination, and supervision of multiple activities, and her expertise in child development and parent engagement.
Recently she was selected to participate in the 2021-2023 National Black Development Institutes Policy Fellowship Program, nominated as the 2022-2023 president-elect for the Rockingham Rotary Club, and vice-chairperson for the Richmond County Chamber of Commerce.
Professional Associations and Current Memberships
- American Red Cross Instructor
- Golden Key International Honor Society
- National Association for Family Child Care
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- National Black Child Development Institute
- North Carolina Association for the Education of Young Children
- SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society
- Southern Early Childhood Education
- Student Veterans Associations
- Drug Endangered Family Taskforce
- Home-Based Child Care-Community of Practice (HBCC) CoP
- Improving Community Outcomes for Maternal and Child Health
- NC Co-op Ext. Advisory Board NC Healthy & Resilient
- Communities Initiative’s Community Advisory Council
- NCPC Allocation Methodology Workgroup
- NCPC Family Child Care Advisory Group
- NCPC Home Visiting and Parent Education Committee Member
- Recently moderated an HVPE session during the Smart Start HVPE Conference
- NCPC Racial Equity Workgroup Richmond County Chamber of Commerce Vice-Chair
- Leadership Richmond Planning Committee
- Richmond County Schools Health and Advisory Council
- Pre-K Advisory Rockingham
- Rotary Club-President-Elect/Secretary State
- Family Child Care Advisory Group w/NCPC
- Child Care Aware of America Leadership Development Program – Graduate 2011-2014
- Richmond County Chamber of Commerce – Leadership Richmond 2019
- National Black Child Development Institute Policy Fellow 2021-2023
- NCPC – North Carolina Partnership for Children/Smart Start
We are so thankful that this leading lady chose Richmond County to call her new home, for the countless ways she makes our community a better place, and for her steadfast dedication to educating and supporting the children of Richmond County!
Join us today in celebrating the success of Dr. Chance!
Meghann Lambeth is executive director of the Richmond County Tourism Development Authority. Republished from visitrichmondcounty.com. Throughout March, Visit Richmond County will feature a local leading lady in honor of Women’s History Month.