Home Local News TRUMP: Avoid bars, restaurants, groups of more than 10

TRUMP: Avoid bars, restaurants, groups of more than 10

Wilson times file photo

ROCKINGHAM — With the numbers of COVID-19 cases increasing across the state and nation, more recommended and mandatory precautions are being issued by the federal and state governments.

President Donald Trump on Monday held a press conference where he advised avoiding gathering in groups of 10 or more people.

Trump also recommends avoiding “discretionary travel” and eating and drinking in restaurants, bars and public food courts.

“If everyone makes this change, or these critical changes, and sacrifices now, we will rally together as one nation and we will defeat the virus and we’re going to have a big celebration altogether,” Trump said. “With several weeks of focused action, we can turn the corner and turn it quickly.”

On Sunday, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended that events with more than 50 people be canceled or postponed for the next eight weeks. The previous recommendation, which was a mandate by Gov. Roy Cooper in an executive order over the weekend, was for events with 100 people.

A notice from the Richmond County Health Department sent Monday included funerals in the mass gatherings with limitations.

The second annual Epicenter Festival, which was moved by promoters from Rockingham Dragway to Charlotte Motor Speedway, is slated for the first weekend in May, which would fall within that time frame.

Advertisements

Promoter Danny Wimmer Presents has yet to make an announcement about postponing or canceling the three-day music festival.

Nearly a dozen states have ordered bars and restaurants to close, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The number of cases in North Carolina nearly doubled over the weekend to 33 on Monday. 

The Department of Health and Human Services no longer distinguishes between presumptive positive cases and CDC-confirmed cases. As of Saturday, there was only one case that was positive in both tests.

“Our state lab tests no longer need to be confirmed by CDC, so they are no longer presumptive positive. Just positive,” according to Kelly Connor, DHHS communications Manager

According to DHHS figures, Wake County has 14 cases, the most in the Tar Heel State, followed by Mecklenburg with four. Forsyth, Johnston and Harnett counties each have two.

The other counties — Watauga, Cabarrus, Durham, Chatham, Brunswick, Onlsow, Craven, Wilson and Wayne — each have one case. Health officials said last week that the Durham County resident was diagnosed in another state.

 

 

Previous articleLinda Ordonez
Next articleRichmond County libraries suspend programs, waive fees
Managing Editor William R. Toler is an award-winning writer and photographer with experience in print, television and online media.