Wednesday, 08 September 2021 11:20

Alleged bomb threat reported at Richmond Senior High

Written by
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

ROCKINGHAM — Officials at Richmond Senior High School took an “increased safety measure” Wednesday morning after a report of an uncorroborated bomb threat.


Public information officer Jasmine Hager sent the same message that was sent out to parents by phone.

“For safety purposes, we ask that you refrain from picking up your child at this time. We will keep you updated as we gather more information. We have referred the report to law enforcement and authorities are doing a walkthrough of the building and campus.

As always, the safety of our students and staff is our top priority. "

Hager did not describe what safety measure was taken.

The RO was made aware of the situation around 10:30 a.m.

Around 11:10 a.m., fire trucks that had been on the scene left, but students were on the football field and deputies from the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office blocked the gate.

The bomb threat comes one day after an alleged threat of a school shooting.

Deputies were at the school Tuesday to assist the school police with running metal detectors and extra patrols, Chief Deputy Jay Childers said.

One mother isn’t happy about the way the school is handling the situation.

Kami Davis said she got a call from her daughter saying the students weren’t allowed off a bus.

When Davis called the school, she said she was told it was just a drill and the man on the end of the line hung up on her.

“They don’t care about any of our students,” Davis said. “All they care about is the way their name looks.”

Davis said she wasn’t notified that anything was going on at the school Tuesday.

“They’re treating these children like prisoners,” she said, referring to them having to go through metal detectors and having their bags searched.

UPDATE: Childers said at 11:28 a.m.: "All students have been safely evacuated from the school. The school system will be sending out a call to parents shortly on dismissal procedures."

UPDATE 2: Hager said students would be dismissed at noon.

The RO will have more information as it becomes available.

West Brunswick High School went on lockdown in response to an alleged bomb threat and Hough High School in Cornelius was evacuated Aug. 27 following a bomb threat.

William Chavis Raynard Miller Jr., a student at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem, died in a hospital after being shot at school last Wednesday, multiple media outlets reported. A student at New Hanover High School in Wilmington received non-life-threatening injuries after being shot just a few days earlier.

The suspects charged in the shootings are both 15 years old, according to media reports.

UPDATED: 11:29 A.M. 

UPDATED: 12:01 P.M.

Last modified on Wednesday, 08 September 2021 12:02