Wednesday, 31 July 2019 13:46

Early morning electrical fire displaces 7 in Rockingham

Written by
Rate this item
(0 votes)
An early morning fire that displaced seven people is believed to have been caused by an electrical issue, according to the Rockingham Fire Department. An early morning fire that displaced seven people is believed to have been caused by an electrical issue, according to the Rockingham Fire Department. Photos courtesy of Nathaniel Jordan

ROCKINGHAM — Officials believe a house fire on the corner of Leak and Glenwood streets that displaced seven people early Wednesday morning was sparked by an electrical issue.


Fire Chief Harold Isler said one of the occupants told him they had been watching television when the lights began to flicker and the breaker tripped several times.

The occupant told firefighters that a neighbor came over to tell them the side of the house was on fire and the six adults and one child were able to escape without injury.

“They were very, very fortunate to get out when they did,” Isler said. “If not, the outcome would have been very different.”

According to the chief, the fire had spread to the attic and flames were coming out of every corner of the 1,250 square-foot home by the time the 14-man crew arrived around 12:49 a.m.

Crews had the fire contained within about 20 minutes and they stayed on the scene to help collect what was salvageable and made sure there would be no more flare-ups.

There was no damage to nearby structures and the American Red Cross was called in to assist.

 

Last modified on Wednesday, 31 July 2019 15:12