Home Crime Victims’ names released in deadly Dobbins Heights shooting; suspect still on the...

Victims’ names released in deadly Dobbins Heights shooting; suspect still on the run

DOBBINS HEIGHTS — The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office has released the names of the two men who were shot following a verbal altercation early Saturday morning.

According to a press release issued Monday afternoon, 29-year-old Jewarren Shamont Rush and 31-year-old Brynton Tyquan Jamil Jones were both shot around 3 a.m. Saturday following an argument with 30-year-old Erik Lewis Short “that turned deadly” on Earle Franklin Drive.

According to the sheriff’s office, all three men have Rockingham addresses.

Both Rush and Jones were taken to FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital-Richmond for treatment, investigators say. Jones was treated and released, but Rush died, “despite efforts made by the FirstHealth Emergency Department staff.”

Investigators obtained arrest warrants for Short, charging him with an open count of murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

“Investigators of the Criminal Investigations Division have worked tirelessly throughout the weekend attempting to locate (Short),” Sheriff Mark Gulledge said in a press release. “We continue to keep the family of both victims in our thoughts and prayers.”

Short stands around 5 feet, 10 inches and weighs about 150 pounds, according to the sheriff’s office. He reportedly left the scene in a white Dodge Durango, but investigators believe he could also be in a green Ford Crown Victoria.

Gulledge encourages anyone who sees Short to contact law enforcement, but not to approach as the suspect is considered armed and dangerous.

Advertisements

Anyone with information on Short’s whereabouts is encouraged to call 911 or Richmond County Crime Stoppers at 910-997-5454.

Online court records show Short has a pending charge of resisting a public officer, as well as a court appearance for driving with a revoked license and exceeding the posted speed limit.

Records with the N.C. Department of Public Safety show Short was first convicted in 2011 for possession of drug paraphernalia.

Short was also convicted on a misdemeanor count of possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance in 2016, and driving while impaired in both 2018 and 2019.

All defendants facing criminal charges are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

CORRECTION: An original version of this story mistakenly said warrants had been obtained for Rush instead of Short. 10-4-21 6:44 p.m.

Previous articleNine Richmond cross country runners set season-low times
Next articleCOMMITTED: Swiney chooses Campbell softball